Friday, August 8, 2008

Goofy on the Treadmill

It only took three tries and about a dozen treats, but Goofy will now walk on the treadmill at 1.5mph for about 15 minutes! He looks so funny, with his tail in the submissive position, head down and tongue hanging out of his mouth! Can't wait till I have a picture to upload. Bill keeps saying he'll take one, but he hasn't yet. Maybe I'll take the camera up to the room today and do it myself. I have to stand right next to him to make sure he doesn't falter or try to get off the treadmill before I say he is done.

I have to shut the door to the exercise room (aka the front bedroom) so that the other three dogs and the cats do not distract Goofy from his goal of releasing his pent up energy. Yesterday, after Goofy was done on the treadmill, I decided to go for a run. It was a little hot in the room even though I had the a/c turned up and the ceiling fan on, so I opened the door and rushing in were the three other brats, Nala Bear, Miko and Squirt. Everybody had to sniff the new Bowflex and treadmill before I began. When I stepped onto the treadmill and pushed the speed up to 5.0mph, it only took Goofy about 5 seconds to try and get on the treadmill with me! I shooed him away and then Miko tried it, so I shooed him away,too. Then Nala Bear, bless her little doggy heart tried to get on with me as well. Poor thing has arthritis and hip displasia and can barely walk when the ground is solid beneath her paws. Maybe I'll let her try a couple of minutes today at .5mph. Miko doesn't want anything to do with it after it begins to move. Squirt will only look at it. No treat in the world is gonna get him on the tread!

Needless to say, after less than 2 minutes, I had to "paws" the machine and shoo everyone out of the room and close the door before I could go back to running. A little extra sweat never hurt me before.

No comments: