Monday, August 24, 2009

The Day Before School Begins Again

Y really did not want to go to the school today, even for a few minutes. We had to, though, because they make you fill out paperwork each year that parents and kids must sign and then they give you your locker assignment and schedule. When I was a kid, they used to mail that stuff to you. The school had an open house type of thing last Thurs eve and Fri morn, but guess what? I work Thurs eve and Fri morn every week! And there was no way Bill was going to be able to do that with him last week. Besides that, he was at his friend C's house last Mon thru Thurs night. We won't be doing that again for a long while, but that's another story. Their family seems nice, but just less structure than Y needs right now. Even though he complains about it every step of the way.

The only good thing those few days apart from us were that Bill and Y are now no longer at each other's throats 24/7. They had a few days of not really speaking much to each other, but that seemed to end yesterday. Surprisingly (but not to me) it ended when Bill finally did something for Y that he has said he would do for weeks - hook up the dish receiver to his TV!!! I kept telling Bill that he had to follow through on something he said he would do no matter what Y's current attitude, or Y's attitude would just get worse. Bill didn't believe me until he did it. Y even asked Bill to come upstairs and look at things on his computer/TV last night. Finally, that's not exclusively my job!

We are also seriously considering getting a fourth dog. One that would be Y's dog and sleep in his room. He wants either a rottweiler puppy or a vizla. Not exactly cheap dogs either way. We have decided to wait about a week and then take him to the animal shelters to see if there are any young dogs or puppies their that grab his fancy. At $100 or less, that's definitely the way we want to go. Y told me today that he wants a male dog and he does not want to have it neutered. I told him that was not an option. At least if we get it from a shelter it will already be fixed. Once again, a man in this house thinking that just because you are taking the dog's "you-know-what's" off, that you will be removing his as well! We also explained to Y that he will then be responsible for caring for all four dogs (feeding, water, walking, etc) and he will be responsible for cleaning up ALL messes the new dog makes. He says he does not want to clean up poop. Guess again, kiddo!

Should be lovely trying to get Y to sleep before 10pm tonight. We have repeatedly told him he has to get up at 5:30am to catch the bus at 5:55am. He can eat breakfast at school for only $1. He also told me today that he wants us to give him cash money each week to buy his school lunches, so that he can buy whatever he wants. (Funny, that was kind of my idea, too.) I told him he would get $20 each Monday, and ONLY $20. If he uses it all by Wednesday, then he would have to pack his own lunch for Thursday and Friday, or use his allowance money. IF he does his jobs. He was very upset when I told him he would not be getting his allowance tonight because he did not do all of his jobs this week. He only walked the dogs once, took the trash out to the cans once and fed the pets three times. He did not wash his clothes, or clean his room or bathroom at all. He said, that's because I was at C's house. Oh, well. Going to C's house was your choice. Next time maybe you'll remember that.

We are also working on him wanting us to buy him things/services NOW and then "work it off later." Not gonna happen any more. You don't have your cash with you, then you don't need to buy it right now. End of story.

Gotta go now.
Natalie
TX

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I noticed how demanding Y is with regards to money. I have experienced some of that with my Ana. At first I would buy her a few things she asked for, then I realized she was asking for everything she saw. Walmart was like Heaven for her. I decided to stop cold turkey. I explained to her she only gets what she needs NOT what she wants. She now has all she needs and she doesn't seem to ask anymore. Although every once in a while she will mention the purchase of a phone. I told her when she speaks English well, I will consider it, until then she does NOT need it. I figure it will be a good year before she can speak it well. We will then see how her attitude is and then we will decide. She attends a private school where she wears a uniform that she doesn't much like and also I pay for her lunch electronically, which she doesn't like, because I have blocked things that she would rather eat. So she either eats what I bought for her for that day or she goes hungry. There are many restrictions placed upon her. I realized that she needs to know that there are rules to follow and that she is not in charge. Unfortunately it has to be this way for a while. I also control who her friends are. Much control, but she needs it. She tries to rebel, but I enforce even more restrictions when she fights - eventually she gives in. It is very challenging for me to be like this. My biological son who is now 20 was so easy. Never any discepline problems. This is all new to me. I know what you are going through.