Saturday, April 25, 2009

You mean we're going to give her a bath?

That was pretty much what K.B. asked her mom today about the "shower" they were throwing for Y and myself.  Funny how things get lost in translation.

Y made out pretty well with several new shirts, jeans, a radio and an electronics builder thingy that he can work on with Papa.  One of the shirts was so funny, I just loved it.  It said something like, "Teacher, please excuse my son's behavior - he get's it from his Dad - The Mom."  Even though they don't share DNA, they're so much alike it's uncanny.  Perfectionists, moody, intelligent, able to figure out how things work without any instructions, and messy.  Of course, this makes them butt heads way too often.  I'm getting tired of Bill harping on me about things he doesn't like that Y does.  Apparently it's all my fault, whatever it is.  Like one of Bill's shirts says, "I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you!"

We were at our friends' house for over 5 hours.  There were five kids who'd been adopted from Ukraine in the past year, plus three biological kids, and four moms.  This is not a dad thing to do, apparently.  The kids kept coming inside and tattling on each other, so finally one of the moms told them to work it out between themselves, and that seemed to help.  We discussed lots of things, including the fact that one of the families would be going back to Ukraine for a second adoption, hopefully this summer.  We discussed what all of our plans would be for the summer.  Maybe a cruise in there somewhere if we can find the time and the money?  Short cruise, only 3-4 days, no longer.  Would be nice if I can get the time off from work.  We also discussed paperwork and social worker visits that will be upcoming for us.  Guess I'll have to clean house again soon.

And, I start back to work on Monday morning.  I have to tell them I can only come in for half a day on Tuesday, I have a dentist's appointment scheduled at 11am; plus, Y does not have to go to school on Tuesday or Wednesday because they will be doing state testing.  He does not have enough English to take the tests at all, so he would have to sit in the library all day doing nothing.  They said they would not likely have a teacher or aide available to help him with his English as all of them would be busy with testing the other kids.

Natalie
TX

No comments: