Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Help - Need Russian Speaking Counselor in Houston

We really need a Russian speaking counselor in the Houston area.  Y really needs to talk to someone about his anger.  He seems to like Bill, okay, but he hates me.  Yesterday he told me we were a bad family and that I was not his mother.  All this because he asked to get his hair cut last weekend and we told him to wait until we returned home.    We also told him that his "tail" in the back would have to be trimmed because the school district requires boys hair not touch the top of a collared shirt.  Y insisted, no, we insisted that if he was getting his hair cut, all of it would be cut, not just some.

We got home Monday and ten minutes later - "Okay, can I get my hair cut now?" (in Russian, of course).  We told him the salon was closed on Mondays and we were very tired from driving 13+ hours from Sunday night to Monday morning.  We also reiterated that his tail would be trimmed.  Again, no from him, and again yes from us.

So, Tuesday I called and made an appointment for Y to get his hair cut after school.  I told him when he got home.  I also reminded him that his tail would be trimmed.  He said he didn't want to get his hair cut anymore.  I reminded him how he brought the subject up, not us.  Bill insisted that he go with me.  (Of course, Bill didn't want to be the bad guy and be the actual parent that was there when the deed was done.)  On the way out of the house, Y kicked a pair of shoes across the room so hard they left a mark on the wall.  He also slammed the door shut on the house and the car.  I told him this was not acceptable.  So, on the car ride over I got a lot of back talk from Y in Russian.  I didn't understand what he was saying, but I knew he was back talking me.  Y also has been doing a lot of just getting up and leaving when we are talking to him and disciplining him.  We tell him to come back here (in English and Russian) and he just ignores us.  One of us has to go to him physically and block his exit from the room/house and/or make him come back inside.  It is getting very emotionally draining to do this several times a day.


Y said something about the internat as we were pulling into the salon parking lot.  I told him this wasn't the internat, it was a family.  He said, "Bad family!  You are not my mother!  You are now Natasha, not Mama!"  I told him (in my best Russian) that in a family you don't get to do everything you want, when you want to do it.  Again, I'm not his mother and this is a bad family.  He also said he was going to leave.  I said, "No, you're not."  He insisted he would.

He did sit down and get his hair trimmed, but he was in a snit the whole time.  I told the stylist to just trim the tail to make it straight.  All she took off was less than half an inch, but you'd have thought it was the world.  Y kept saying there was a boy at school who has long hair, but I told him that boy was not my son.  Of course, he said he was not my son either.

Y was in a bad mood while we purchased him a 3" ring binder for school and while we were grocery shopping after that.  He wanted to buy candy with the money he got over the weekend and I wouldn't let him.  There was no way he was going to get candy (he still had two bags at home) when he was being disrespectful to me.  The back talk continued the entire time we were away from home.  Y kept telling me it was his money.  I don't care, you're not loading up on candy, especially when you're misbehaving.  He did pick out some peanuts, a can of soup and a paddle ball.  He tried to sneak some candy into the cart, but I caught it at the checkout.

As soon as we got home and he saw Bill he was all lovey dovey to Bill.  I realized I had forgotten to get new batteries for his handheld translator, so I returned to the grocery store by myself while Bill and Y put the groceries away and made dinner.  When I returned home, seemed to be in a much better mood.  Bill explained to Y several times that he did not go with to get his hair cut because Bill would've had them cut it all off.  High and tight, probably.  He told Y, Mama wanted your hair here, and I wanted it way up here.  I don't know if that helped the situation.  It explained it, but Bill kept bringing it up, which kept the incident fresh in Y's mind.  Bill also told me I over react to everything.  I don't understand how I over reacted to the statements - this is a bad family and you're not my mother.  All I told him was that he didn't have a choice.

This morning, Y was back in a bad mood.  He got up easily enough, but didn't like the fact that I told him to take a shower.  He smelled horrible when he came home from school yesterday.  Then, when it was time to take him to school, he kept asking where the pictures were.  I didn't know what pictures he was talking about, but I showed him the photo book from Ukraine.  He took several pictures of his friends out and one of the school there, and put them in his book bag.  He was in a snit again as we drove to school.  He couldn't get out of the car soon enough.  When I asked for a kiss goodbye, he just said, "No.  Goodbye."

I called Bill as I left the school and told him that I would be surprised if Y came home from school today.  I think he is at least thinking about running away.  Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I am concerned.  I will not give in to his every whim just to make him want to stay.  I'd be at therapy with him tonight if I could find a therapist that speaks Russian.

For those of you who say to pick your battles, just know that I really don't care how long his hair is.  I don't care what color it is, either.  But, the school does have rules, and unfortunately we have to follow them.  We were just going to wait until the school contacted us about the length of his hair, but with Y's attitude lately and the fact that he wanted to get his hair cut, we thought now would be a good time.  That way he won't have to get his tail cut again until August.  His tail is now 2.5 inches long instead of 3 inches long.

Anyone with any suggestions on a Russian speaking therapist, please email me at adoptyaroslav@yahoo.com.  We do have an English speaking therapist available and maybe a Russian translator if it comes to that.

Natalie
TX

7 comments:

Kevin and Tammy said...

I can understand your frustration. I have been told many times that I am not Jaryd's mother. That is just a defense mechanism. I know you know all of this, but it doesn't make it hurt any less. We will keep you in our prayers. I know Yarek is older and that makes it much harder. I have to say that this adoption thing is harder than anything I have ever tried to do. Keep your faith and stay digilent in your discipline. God will prevail and he will come around in time. I thought the first three months that we were going to go crazy.
Tammy

Tami said...

I don't think I can be of much help to you. My kids were much younger when we brought them home, so while some of the reactions were similar, how I could handle them were much different.
I think you are absolutely right that you need a therapist. The sooner the better. I don't know if its more important to find a therapist who speaks Russian or one who is an attachment therapist. Hopefully Diane, Annie or MamaPoRuski will have some great advice for you.
All I can offer are my prayers and a virtual ((hug)). We're here for you. We're listening. We're praying.

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

I hate to hear of your situation with Yerek. I pray for you and Bill to receive the wisdom and guidance (and patience) needed to deal with the situation. I pray that Yerek also realizes that you all love him and are trying to look out and acclamate him to life in America. Hang tough.

ArtworkByRuth said...

Natalie, I would let the school tell him he needs it cut again. I also take every opportunity for other Russian speaking folks to tell our girl that she needs to shower at least every other day AND wash her hair. I use every opprotunity with school staff, medical appointments and other friends to reinforce that the same standards for children are in other homes not just ours. The other issue is that you are at your magical "one month" mark. Remember how you felt after four weeks in Ukraine, wanting to go home? He is at that point now. Is there a Russian speaking church in the area that can help?

Michelle said...

i am so sorry you're going through this. personally, i don't think you're overreacting - what he said was extremely hurtful, and i think your husband may not understand because it isn't he who is being told these things (in addition to the fact that us women react differently anyway). as for your son - and he IS your son - running away, i think it's a genuine concern. does he ride the bus or walk? is there a way for you to pick him up until you can trust him?

you're doing the right thing, seeking a therapist to work with him. a lot of parents don't want to admit the problem, and therefore don't properly address it. i'll ask my therapist if she's got any resources... we're in D.C. but she's known nationwide, so maybe she knows of some sort of group or listing or something. probably won't help you, but i'll at least give it a shot.

you, your husband, and your son are in my prayers. i'll be praying that things get better, that you find the right therapist (God answered this prayer with me & my therapist would do anything for me), and that He will guard your heart as you deal with your son's hurtful words. i don't pretend to have gone through anything close to what he must've been through in his life, but i was abused for 11 years and kidnapped as well... i said some pretty hurtful things to my Mom over the years, even though she was the most perfect mother a person could have. i know it'll be hard, but try to keep in mind that he most likely doesn't mean what he says... it's a symptom of a deeper problem, a deeper pain. that doesn't make it right, acceptable, or less painful, but hopefully it will help you hang on while you all work through this.

praying...

- michelle

Traci said...

Hey, I've been following your blog but haven't posted before. Yarek's behavior seems totally typical from all of the blogs I've been reading. The kids typically take out their anger on their mothers. You need to search Facebook for a lady named Kelly Baehr. She adopted three boys, including a 14 or 16 year old (actually, she couldn't adopt him, but he's in the states with her family). Long story, but find her on FB and ask to be her friend with a comment from you that you need advice about your teenage son you just adopted from Ukraine. I think she can help you a lot! Good luck.

Dave Baldacchino said...

Hi Natalie,

I'm in no way going to pretend I can offer advice on parenting =) But I'll at least try to state a few points which spring to mind.

First, I commend you for being a tough parent. I think the worst you can do is to cave in. If you do, I suspect Yarek will run you over like a monster truck! At his age, even if he was your biological son, he could be acting somewhat similar (ahh, gotta love teens). Remember that one thing that you're still working for is to gain respect. It takes years to build, so don't expect it to be an overnight challenge.

Which brings me to the second point...Bill, oh Bill. I think you need to support your wife on this. The power of 2 is stronger than the power of 1. I think Yarek is trying to establish his bounds right now and so he's going to try and soften one of you so he can get away with things. You need to have one voice and if he says mean things to one of you, the other has to stand up and show how deeply disappointed and angry you are. Just as you might have some sort of rewards system for when he does his chores or is on his best behavior, you might need to establish a similar system of "punishment" when his mean side runs rampant. Like add a week to the period of time before he can have his video game ;) I can see that graph stretching longer and longer until he clicks!

I know that you get more things done with honey (or whatever the expression is) but I wouldn't give in to his "extortion". I would also try to show a softer side somehow. Maybe show a little more of a sad side when he says those things to you (sulk, some tears, a little drama!). It might get to him. And try to not court him too much if he's being disrespectful.

GOOD LUCK! I'm following your blog to get parenting advice ;) And it's fun to read too!