Tuesday, November 3, 2009

His First Root Canal

Took Y into the dentist again today. He had his first cleaning in USA last week, that's when I found out he had at least 8 cavities. Wow. I spent $400 on dental work in Kiev right before we left Ukraine. Apparently that was $400 wasted, according to our dentist here. He said all they did was dig out a portion of the decay and put a filling on top of it. Now, Y needs at least two root canals, possibly three. And, he has a few cavities between his teeth from not properly flossing. I guarantee you he has done more brushing of his teeth here than in Ukraine. He also uses mouthwash, but he seems to think just using mouthwash is OK without brushing at all. So, today he has a $1300+ root canal on one tooth (insurance picks up about $750 of that tab), and in two weeks we go back to have his crown done. Then, sometime after January 1st we will have the rest of his dental work done. We have reached the limit for what our insurance will pay in one year. I go every three months for a cleaning, so that eats up a lot of what the insurance will pay. If I didn't go so often, I'd have to get a deep cleaning every 12-18 months (at $900+ a pop).

Still no word on what we can do about Miko. Guess I'll have to try and call A&M tomorrow. The vet hasn't really told me what I need to be asking them, nor have they given me any information about his blood test results yet. I'll call them again tomorrow, too.

Other than that, not much going on here except some nasty crud stuff (no H1N1) that won't let me stop coughing up half a lung every day. Y is already over his, and Bill caught it too. Each of them only lasted 3-4 days, I've had this for 10 days and counting now. Guess asthma makes you more susceptible to stuff like this. Would've thought smoking a pack a day for 30 years would've at least put Bill on an even par with me, though.

Hope all is well in your world.

Natalie
TX

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I keep wondering what costs $1300 on a root canal. Back in Hungary my totally private root canals came around $150 and they were kinda expensive. Grr.

I hope you will feel better soon!

ArtworkByRuth said...

Oh Ouch! O was past the root canal stage, she just needed it extracted and cleaned out...