Thursday, July 23, 2009

What part of "NO!" don't you understand?

We broke down and bought Y a cell phone the other day.  First day he had it, we told him absolutely no buying anything, music, games, whatever, unless he asked permission first.  That first night, I came home from work to find my husband asleep on the couch, and Y still up excited about his new phone.  He just had to make me listen to all of the music he downloaded, and all of the pictures he had on there now.  The next morning, he woke me up because he wanted to bluetooth our two phones together so he could send me pictures and music.  It took a frustrating 30 minutes for me to find out that I had no clue how to sync the two phones, and five minutes for Y to figure it out.  

When I asked him if the music he downloaded cost money, he said, "It's no big money, Mama."  I then asked him if he had asked Papa's permission before he downloaded it.  I give him credit for not lying to me.  He said, "No."  Then I reminded him of our conversation the day before.  He again said it was not big money.  I asked him how many songs.   He said eleven.  I told him that each song may have been 'not big money' but all eleven together were.  So, he went and gave me all of his allowance left from the past few weeks - $42.00, and said for me to have it to pay for the music.  I told him that was not the point.  He needs to ask permission, not forgiveness.  I told him that if he buys more music or games today, then we would disable that feature on his phone until he learns to handle himself properly.  He promised he wouldn't buy anything else. 

I also told him that if he reconnected his computer (you know, the one that's not really his because we have parental controls on it?), then he could download all of that music to his phone for free.  We'll see if he does that today.

The trials and tribulations of a teenager.  Life is so hard, isn't it?

Natalie
TX

3 comments:

Alan said...

Just today we're having Mark sign a cell phone parent's contract that lays out the usage rules. He must sign it to keep his phone. It lays out what we expect and the consequences. We will give him a copy to keep.

Unknown said...

Oh, how I can relate to Yaroslav right now! A friend of mine can get smart phones (actually HP PDA's with phoning abilities) half price through her work, so I am getting one of those babies instead of another non-qwerty keyboard phones I'd get for the same price. I am already trying to keep myself from switching carriers, and downloading a gazillion extras.

The only difference between Yaroslav and I are that I'm supposedly and independent adult.

I hope he will see your point and act responsibly with his new phone.

ali said...

same thing happened here. in the first TWO days, he ran up a 54$ bill. BYE BYE PHONE!!!!!!!