Friday, April 3, 2009

Scoliosis confirmed & Ya nee ha-choo!

Took Y to the chiropractor after school today.  He wasn't thrilled about more x-rays and a doctor's visit, but he did it anyway.  Didn't hurt that Mama was in major need of an adjustment, too.  They confirmed scoliosis but said he wouldn't need a brace, just some 'muscle retraining.'  I told them we would return this summer for his range of motion and follow up treatments.  Hopefully by then he will know enough English to understand why he needs to do this.

When we got home at 7pm, dinner was almost ready.  Pork chops, mashed potatoes, bread and a glass of milk.  (Yes, I know, no veggies - we fought over veggies last night.)  Well, tonight we fought over milk.  He accepted his plate of food with a "Thank you Mama," until he saw the glass of milk.  Nyet!  No way he was going to drink that milk.  So, he walked into the living room with the plate and glass in his hand, put both on the coffee table and sulked.  Oh, and he was watching Sponge Bob, too.  I came in to sit next to him (we often eat in the living room - maybe we should put a TV in the breakfast nook), and told him that he couldn't leave his plate there - the dogs will eat it.  So, he put his plate on the back of the couch.  A big no-no.  I told him to put it on his lap and eat his food and drink his milk.  That was followed by a chorus of "Ya nee ha-choo!" from him and, "I don't care!" from me.  After I turned off Sponge Bob, and told him he couldn't watch TV until he ate dinner, he ate the potatoes and then asked if he could go out to the kitchen.  I told him he could eat in the kitchen if he wanted to.  All he did was put the plate on the counter and come back into the living room.  Another no-no.  I realize he didn't understand exactly what I said, so I sat him at the breakfast table and put his plate and milk in front of him.  This was followed by even more vehement, "Ya nee ha-choo!"  I told him that was fine, he didn't have to eat it right now, but he was going to sit there until he ate his pork and drank his milk.  Thankfully, Bill came out from his office to back me up.

Five minutes later, Y turned the light off and tried to sneak upstairs.  I asked if he had eaten - another "Ya nee ha-choo!"  So, Bill came out again, sat him back down at the table and asked him to please eat his food and drink his milk.  Bill stayed in the hallway watching Y until he did as requested.  That took another 10 minutes or so.  As soon as Y was done, he went out on the back deck and sat down to sulk in the dark.  He stayed there for over 20 minutes until Bill went out and asked him to come back in and do his one chore of the day.  He did not feed the dogs and cats or give them fresh drinking water this morning before he went to school.  Almost all bowls were empty and the natives were getting a little restless.

Yes, I did go out and check on Y once while he was sulking outside, but I figured this was a minor enough issue.  He needs to learn how to handle such frustration on his own.  Not like the other night when he had a meltdown and really needed comforting.

BTW - Nickelodeon is back on TV right now.

Somehow we're going to have to teach him that if a two TV programs are recording and he gets the message "Confirm you wish to stop recording?" when he tries to change the channel - the answer is NO or CANCEL!!!  I had to miss my nightly Keith Olberman show because wanted to watch Sponge Bob.  If he would've asked first, I would've said yes, but he didn't.  Bill thinks he can put some sort of code lock on the TV so that you have to enter that code just to turn the TV on.

Oh, and Y most likely does not have mono.  He was just tired one day.  I asked him if his neck or head hurt and checked a couple of his glands.  They did not feel swollen to me, but I'm not a medical doctor.  Maybe we'll have him tested/checked when he has to go in for more vaccinations.

Natalie
TX

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys. Check out a book called the "Connectd Child." It is all about adoption issues and suggestions on how to help the child become more attached and adjust to his new environment. You might also want to check out Bryan Post's stuff. He deals with children that have attachement issues. You can find him at www.postinstitute.com. We've been reading the Connected Child and it has really been helpful.